Yields 8 MetPro Servings Total
MetPro Serving Breakdown:
Protein = 1 (Basic: 15g protein)
Veggie Carb = 2 (Basic: 10g veg carbs)
Meal Carbs = 2 (Basic: 30g meal carbs)
Fat = 0.5 (Basic: 7.5g Fat)
(Protein serving goes up to 2 (Basic: 30g protein) if adding meat)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey or beef (optional)
- 3 large carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt, plus salt to taste
- 5 to 6 ounces baby spinach
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce (low sugar)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) fat free cottage cheese, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups (8oz) freshly grated low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella cheese
1.) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the veggies: In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil, add the carrots, bell pepper, zucchini, yellow onion, and salt. Cook, stirring every couple of minutes, until the veggies are golden on the edges, about 8 to 12 minutes. Brown meat in a separate pan.
2.) Add a few large handfuls of spinach. Cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach has wilted. Repeat with remaining spinach and cook until all of the spinach has wilted. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
3.)Pour half of the cottage cheese into a food processor and blend it until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to large mixing bowl.
4.) Transfer the cooked veggies and spinach mixture to the bowl of the food processor. Pulse until they are more finely chopped (but not puréed!), about 5 to 7 times, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of whipped cottage cheese. Top with the remaining cottage cheese, then add salt (o taste and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Spread ½ cup tomato sauce evenly over the bottom of a 9” by 9” baking dish. Layer 3 lasagna noodles on top (snap off their ends to fit, and/or overlap their edges as necessary). Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture evenly over the noodles. Top with ¾ cup tomato sauce and meat if using, then sprinkle ½ cup shredded cheese on top.
- Top with 3 more noodles, followed by the remaining cottage cheese mixture (we’re skipping the tomato sauce in this layer.) Sprinkle ½ cup shredded cheese on top.
- Top with 3 more noodles, then spread ¾ cup tomato sauce over the top (you may have a little sauce leftover) to evenly cover the noodles. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup shredded cheese.
6.) Wrap a sheet of parchment paper or foil around the top of the lasagna (don’t let it come into contact with the cheese). Bake, covered, for 18 minutes, then remove the cover, rotate the pan by 180° and continue cooking for about 10 to 12 more minutes, until the top is turning spotty brown.
7.) Remove from oven and let the lasagna cool for 15 to 20 minutes, so it has time to set and cool down to a reasonable temperature. Sprinkle additional basil over the top, then slice and serve.
Recipe inspired by Cookie and Kate